This one is for die-hard stay at home moms and dads and anyone else who can’t stand being limited to their local gym to get in a killer workout!
The plus side to this is anyone else looking to go beyond the gym to get in a great workout can read this post and get some tips and tricks to make their workout from home a success. Nobody really has time to do much anymore these days….or do they? To be honest, it’s not about the amount of time in the day but what you’re doing with your time during that day!
That’s a whole blog post in itself!
I wanted to give you one of the best ways to get in a workout right from the house. It’s simple, easy to do and able to be done right from the comfort of your own home. To me that’s what working out is all about. Not about flashy gym equipment, crazy membership fees and complicated workouts. Let’s go back to the basics and learn how to construct your own home gym for FREE. This at home workout is going to consist of 4 exercises you can do by using just your bodyweight, chair and a few books. As I get closer and closer to becoming a dad for the first time I realize what it’s going to take to stay on my workouts and be sure to do whatever I can to stay in shape. Even if it means building and using my own home gym!
So if your schedule is crazy, your too busy to hit the gym
or you only have enough motivation to roll from the couch to the floor then pay
Warmer weather is coming up fast so the length of warm up will vary. If It was the dead of winter and your stuck at home trying to get in a workout, than I would suggest taking at least 8-10 minutes just warming up. As summer approaches I start including my
warm ups into my workouts I do at home.
Each warm you do should be geared towards what you want to work that day. This workouts is a little more lower body, ab and chest focused so that’s what the warmup with focus on.
Repeat this 3 times:
1. Jumping jacks 1 Minute
2. Mountain Climbers 1 Minute
3. Body Weight Squats 15 reps
4. Mid-Push up holds 20-35 seconds
You warm? Good let’s get started!
The work: The reps are written as Eay-Medium-Hard
I want you to do 3-4 rounds of this with 35-45 sec between each exercise. You can add time or take away if the break is too short or long.
1. Walking Lunges 15-20-30 reps each leg ~ Grab something to carry around the house. It can be a child, book bag full of books, giant bag of rice, 65+ lb dog etc. Remember, you’re at home so get creative.
2. High knee jumps 15 – 20 – 30 ~ Put your hands out in front of you, palms facing down about waist height. Your goal is to jump straight up and bring your knees into the palms of your hands and back down. Repeat this back to back for the desired rep range. If you can’t do both knees at the same time do one at a time as fast as you can.
3. Book Climbs: To failure with push ups. ~ Round up all those stupid phone books you have lying around because they are about to become apart of your workout! Your going to start with one hand on the books or object and the other on the ground in a push up position. Start by doing a push up and then climb over the books and into another push up on the other side of the books. Repeat this until you have hit an even max on both sides.
4. Explosive Step ups: 15-20-30 ~ Grab a chair, bench etc. and place in front of you. Be sure whatever object you are using is capable of holding your body weight. Start with one foot flat on the top of the object. That planted foot will be your “driving leg” to start the exercise off. I want you to drive up and at the top point your going to switch your planted foot with the other leg before you come down. Your going to repeat this for the desire rep range.
Is this making sense? If not, check out this video I made of this specific at home workout. I did it in the convenience of my back yard with things I had lying around my garage.
If you liked this little sample workout then stay tuned because I am going to be making more posts like this for specific locations and specific jobs that people may have. It’s going to be legit!
P.S If that video didn’t spark your attention check out this one!